Thursday, April 5, 2018

HarnQuest, Coselin and Lorkin


A few notes about the newest HarnQuest, which contains the articles Coselin and Lorkin and a map.
I got a chance to expand the illustration for Lorkin, so I built a sketchup model. Lorkin also has a cool mausoleum on a rock in the river just out of view in the illustration below.
Lorkin Keep, pen & ink and digital,
Copyright © 2018, Richard Luschek and Columbia Games, Inc.
"Lorkin commands the head of the Anoth Delta in the southeast corner of the Kingdom of Orbaal. It is the largest settlement in the region and an important center of maritime trade."
I chose a view very close to the original illustration by Hotz which I liked it a lot.

Watch this video walk around in Sketchup here on YouTube:
For the mausoleum I chose a solid, yet simple architecture as it is of Jarin construction.
I selected a view that hints at a visitor. Is it a Jarin Ilvirian who has come to study the mythology of Eochaid, the priest laid to rest here? Is it an Ivinian here to deface the sacred site or is it someone here to pillage the site for artifacts?
I always imagine an Ilvirian site teaming with life. Seals have chased some fish up the river and are now resting on the rocks. Seals are some pretty strange Ivashu dont you agree?
The scene I selected:
 
 The resulting illustration:
Faenghease Rock, pen & ink and digital,
Copyright © 2018, Richard Luschek and Columbia Games, Inc.
 I had a lot of fun drawing the floor painting of the mausoleum. I chose an image of Eochaid of Olthair, aided by some Hru to drive out the gargun to restore the temple at Gedan. I tend to look at early Celtic as inspiration for the work of Jarin.
Eochaid of Olthair, pen & ink and digital,
Copyright © 2018, Richard Luschek and Columbia Games, Inc.
Coselin has a very cool temple as its major feature. The images for the towns often tend to feature the castle or keep of the town, so it was nice to focus on something else. The Sarjin Temple dominates the shore line.
The floorplans are pretty simple, and I struggled with how to represent it. I looked at the complicated wooden Stave churches and took inspiration from there.


I hinged most of the Coselin illustrations around the docks. You can see from my sketchup reference I had to work a bit to make this interesting. The simple model I built looks more like modern pole building.


I wanted to roof of the temple to have the feel of a serpents back-  I wish I had pushed this a bit more. I covered the temple in pinnacles and various fanciness. The whale ribs form an arch as you approach the temple.
Coselin, pen & ink and digital,
Copyright © 2018, Richard Luschek and Columbia Games, Inc.
The interior design and description of the temple left some room for playing around. I designed the priests platform to look like Sarajins sled. The priest is holding a ceremonial golden axe, a warrior and a shield-maiden present for this ceremony.
Worshiping Sarajin, pen & ink and digital, Copyright © 2018, Richard Luschek and Columbia Games, Inc.

2 comments: