Sunday, July 1, 2012

Meredragons- A New Look for the Ilme




Ilme nest, Copyright © 2012, Columbia Games, Inc. and Richard Luschek
 

I am going to do a few posts about the newest HarnQuest release. The latest publication has some cool new articles with greatly expanded text and art for some old friends- though "friends" maybe an odd choice of words for a set of articles that will most likely get your player characters bitten, set on fire, or hit upside the head with a mace- that may also itself be on fire.

This HarnQuest has some expanded articles on two Agrikan Orders,  Dragons, and Ilme- the Meredragon, a creature unique to Harn. These articles are an attempt to give new life to creatures with ideas for your game offering many adventure possibilities.
Also on this HarnQuest, CGI decided to start adding color to the first page of all new articles. This decision came after much of the work was done. So while I was excited about the decision, I had not planned for it and had to rework stuff that I had considered finished.

When I started with Harn one of the things that stood out for me was the look of the product. Of course there were the great maps, but the art of Eric Hotz was what really attracted my attention. It had a simple and gritty realism. When I started illustrating for Harn in 2001 I did my best to continue that trend. I learned a lot trying to emulate the standard set by Hotz. I think I have since developed my own style, but it has definitely been influence by the work of Hotz.  So, for the page one art for Ilme I thought I would pay homage to the original Hotz image- 28 years later. In preparation of this article I had been studying and drawing dinosaurs in an attempt to create a more realistic beast by improving on the anatomy and setting.


Copyright © 2012, Columbia Games, Inc.
So as you can see in the above image, my image has a very familiar layout with some direct references to the original Hotz image. Hotz did a great job making his work very simple with clear reading subjects.
Honestly, my image could have used a bit more of that, so when I got the opportunity to color the image, that was the main goals, to make the subject read more strongly in this complicated image. I took the scanned pen and ink image into photoshop, colored some of the lines so they were not so black, and then painted color on the layer under the line work. I flattened the image and then painted highlights on top of that.
I would be curious to know what you think of the image, and my nod to the original from 1984.



2 comments:

  1. Kudos! It is not for the faint of heart trying to replace something that Eric did so well, but you managed to match it.

    The original Ilme looked kind of cute and it was a problem to make my players take them as serious threats (well, until they attacked, but that would have wrecked the group).

    I like both versions. I will probably use the new one, though - or hand out the old Hotz-style as the results of an artist of an earlier expedition :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Well, when you see the entire article you will see that there are a lot more information and representations of them to help explain them to your players and flesh out an under appreciated Harnic beast. The image in Tontury Lake also shows what can happen when messing with a female Ilme, it is not cute.
    http://www.columbiagames.com/cgi-bin/query/cfg/zoom.cfg?product_id=5893

    ReplyDelete