Tuesday, May 20, 2014

You'll Put Your Eye Out Kid!

So I almost had a very bad day yesterday when I took a tree branch to the eye. I hard at work in the yard distributing 25 bags of mulch we had delivered to our driveway. I was walking towards a wooded area on our property, about to execute a manly toss of the heavy bag of mulch, when the attack happened.
I was stunned for a bit, as I was not 100% sure the branch did not go into my eye. Honestly I am not sure how it didn't come out the back of my head, but the eyeball was unscathed.
While it was merely a flesh wound, this greatly affected the rest of the day. I think I would have been less freaked out if had almost cut off my left arm. As an painter, I pretty much only need my right arm and both eyeballs. The other parts I consider bonus.
So this was a close call.

To add some detail and make you realize the severity of this, I was attacked by the dreaded Red Bud Tree. Below is a photo of one of these horrible trees- not the one that attacked me, but I am sure it is an equally deadly tree of the same species. Seriously, if you have one of these trees, I suggest you protect yourself and your family by chopping it down immediately. While this tree is frightening, it would have been even scarier with my eyeball hanging off the end of a branch.

Now it does hurt a bit every time I close my eye, but the fact that I am doing so over a working eyeball- I am not going to complain. I have to admit, the resulting scratches look pretty bad ass. It really accentuates my overall manliness, but I suppose it will heal.

One of the writers for Harn reminded me of an illustration I had done long ago. While I am a bit reluctant to post this illustration for Dunir from 2001, as it has some issues, but I did pose for the photo reference. This battle hardened knight, not only looks like me, his scar is a bit prophetic.
Sir Kaleb Vandor, Dunir, Copyright © 2014, Columbia Games, Inc. and Richard Luschek
Now we are not sure how he lost his eye, but maybe Sir Kaleb lost his eye to a Red Bud Tree.
I should double check to see what other illustrations I posed for and if they have any nasty injuries so I can be extra careful.

2 comments:

  1. Well late to the task as usual, but I have an equally interesting story from the dreaded land of trees, though in this case it was a cottonwood.

    As I was out pruning trees on a fine fall day, a certain Cottonwood at the end of the property resented the fact that I was trimming it's errant branches. Low and behold it cast a deadfall limb that it had readied in a previous windstorm down upon my head. Noticing the projectile that gravity was assisting in it's descent to the ground, I valiantly tried to dodge to no avail. Obviously I rolled a MF since the rough-hewn spear only hit me in the back of the neck, knocking me to the ground.

    Realizing that I was still alive, I struggled to my feet. My assistant Luiz meanwhile had raced over to check on my condition. By the look in his eyes I guessed that something was still wrong with my appearance. Reaching back with my right hand, I confirmed the fact that a 12 plus inches of cottonwood branch was still lodged in the back of my neck.

    Needless to say I made it to the hospital and am still alive, though I think I lost my lunch along the way. I also have a nice scar and something to talk to the barber about every time I get a haircut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, that sounds nasty. More people need to know just how dangerous and aggressive trees can be.

    ReplyDelete